Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

fine dining v. furakake

Lately I've been dining at several fancy shmancy restaurants because it is recruiting season. Firms can't stoop to the level of Applebee's or Claim Jumpers (both are restaurants that I like), so we have to go to Craft (top chef Tom's restaurant), AOC, Patina, Nick n Stef's, etc.

... Which is pretty awesome for me since I otherwise would not be going there on my measly grad student budget. Orrr I'd be going there and ordering one entree, MAYBE one drink, and nothing else. Not that there's anything wrong with that :) Anyway, the food is generally pretty dang good(notwithstanding my very sad experience at Nick and Stef's, a STEAK restaurant, where I felt compelled to order a SALAD oh horrors I don't even like salads at salad joints). Seared this, braised that, simmered something.

But today, as I was sitting at my desk savoring every mouthful of rice and furakake (japanese rice seasoning mmmm), I remembered thinking that as much as I enjoy eating the snazzy food, it really just doesn't hit home like an in n out burger or slice of really cheesy pizza with a glass of newcastle does. MAYBE an awesome steak with mashed potatoes will, but that's not really part of the fancy artsy crafty food party.

So at the end of the day, it's nice to be able to try these restaurants and I'm sure I will try more out once I have an actual income, but I don't see myself ever being one of those people who are ALL about trying out the latest trendiest restaurant so that I can feel super cool and tell my friends all about it. As delicious as the food is, and as much as I can appreciate the talents of the chef, it just won't do it for me like a steak, burger, or crunchwrap supreme will.

No comments: