Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

some girls are crazy


Torts is one of my favorite law school courses. It's pertinent to our experiences with daily life, and it can be mind-boggling what lawsuits people can and can't get away with. I actually had no idea what a "tort" was until maybe the beginning of last semester. It's basically just civil-law cases, dealing mostly with negligence (e.g. kid falling into hole on your property) and whether you actually had a duty to not be negligent. Excludes breach of contracts cases (although there are occasional overlaps). Only monetary damages/injunction, no jail time.

ANYWAY last night I was reading a 1960s case about this crazy ex-boyfriend who hired a thug who threw lye on his ex-girlfriend's face, permanently scarring and blinding her. This was also the day after her party for her engagement to another man, who subsequently left her.

I was like OMG another craaazy ex-bf case (there are quite a few, but more often in crim law... this case was suing the city police for not adequately protecting her). I wanted to see what she looked like (pre-scarring), so I googled her name, Linda Riss, and found out that, after crazy ex-bf was released from jail after 14 years....

THIS GIRL MARRIED HIM!!!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!

He proposed to her on TV because he wasn't allowed to go near his victim. A friend set up a double date for them, and just this past March, I guess, they celebrated their 30th anniversary! O_O I don't consider that true love. I consider that crazy... and stupid. After they got married, this crazy bastard had an affair with another woman and was charged for threatening her as well. Ms. Linda Riss forgives him for all of this.

Maybe it's desperation. But would I be so desperate as to go back to the man responsible for my blindness? No. Maybe it's my lack of a "Christian sense of forgiveness" (see article). It's crazy how girls will stay/go back to their abusive boyfriends. It happens so often though.

Some girls are crazy. Read NY Times article here.

(my favorite part of the article: when they ask him about whether she's over it or if she ever brings it up, he goes, "well, she doesn't throw it in my face!" oh yeah, har har!)

No comments: