Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

More Shootings

Another disturbed teen has gunned down random people and then shot himself. It's kind of sad that it's to the point that, while this news is upsetting and very sad, it is hardly surprising or shocking anymore. I remember when Columbine first happened, it was just horrific shock.

I'm sure there are some interesting studies on the psychology and sociology surrounding this worrisome trend (which has even carried over to other countries). It's not just about access to guns (although more limits would be nice...) or parenting (there have always been bad parents, bad friends)... or even bullies at school anymore (trend of mall shootings?). I don't know what it is. Obviously one part of it is just seeing other people do it and get media attention from it, and wanting the same. But this 'wanting the same' must come from a new psyche that wasn't there before, I think...

Oftentimes these shooters want to leave the world with some mark, any mark. Want to be noticed. I wonder if this is different from before. Most humans have always wanted to be known and/or remembered, but this is different in character. I wonder if it has something to do with our society becoming more complacent and in turn more frustrated. Does that make sense? And why it seems to have a particular effect on teenage boys... can it really be explained away by hormones or gender differences? Maybe a twisted sense of recapturing loss of masculinity in this culture.

I don't know. All I know is that I'm done with two finals. And thus we return back to our little world and lives.

//

Picture of the Post


A cloudy moment in the German Alps

No comments: