Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2007

My Golden Compass Daemon :)



This is my Golden Compass Daemon :)

I want to see this movie. Even though I've never heard of the book before... to be honest, as much as I love the Narnia books, I didn't really like the movie that much, so I hope that this movie does better. I really like Nicole Kidman too.

I love these fantasy stories, although sometimes it can make reality sad. After reading the Velvetine Rabbit when I was young, I really wanted my favorite stuffed dog to become real. And I thought maybe it didn't because I didn't love it enough, which made me sad.

Anyway you can take a quiz and find out your own Daemon at the website hahaha
http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

-----
Update:

So I found it interesting that these books are based on a trilogy with atheist viewpoints. And that the author hated C.S.Lewis and wrote these as "the other side to the story" of Narnia's allegories. Apparently there is a little bit of upset from the religious side that they are making a film that introduces kids to 'anti-Christianism' and atheism.

I guess I'm not surprised that some more extreme religious groups would be upset, but I doubt that the message is carried over too much. I mean the Narnia movie wasn't a religious movie to me. Hollywood is a business and I doubt they would try to endanger their market by making it too one way or the other.

Besides, there's really not much wrong with making a film on 'atheist' books if it's okay to make a movie (Narnia) based on Christianity. Why censor kids from a fair debate? Plus, crazy adults are forgetting that symbolism, religious or atheist, is often lost on kids. The allegories in Narnia were lost on me when I read then in 2nd, 3rd grade. I just thought it was a great story. Oh poor Susan didn't get to go back to Narnia because she no longer believed in Aslan! Sad turn of plot events'... wait a minute... anyway, I haven't read the Golden Compass books but I would think that it's a similar situation.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/10/is_the_golden_compass_too_anti.html
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

//

Picture of the Post


A Dragon fires on the crowds in Paris' train station.
(the dragon is made out of crumpled soda cans... I thought that was cool)

No comments: