Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2008

First Class

Hmm...

Where is this?

It's Singapore Airline's new jet... I think it's called the Dreamliner. The private, convertible seat-beds of first class. It would be pretty sweet to fly this way, esp on those 10+ hour flights. I guess I have an easier time than most sleeping on planes, but I wouldn't mind being upgraded to this. Especially since Singapore Airlines is also awesome in general already.

I really agree that it's much more worth it to use frequent flier miles to upgrade classes rather than get a free economy class ticket. Economy seats are getting more and more affordable while the difference in price between economy and business/first class is huge-- thousands of dollars.

Sometimes it's hard to balance the desire to indulge in luxuries for yourself and keep in mind one's desire/responsibility to help others in need. I mean, even if I could afford to fly Super Triple Diamond First Class, should I? Wouldn't that money be better used if donated? I recently read about some [probably sensationalized] expenses of the uber-rich-- e.g. a $15,000 diamond martini or a $1000 bagel. Is it crazy?

The extremes are a crazy to me right now. But then again having luxuries available is arguably a good economic incentive to encourage people to work harder and earn more money. Which is good for the economy as a whole and, I guess the argument would go, ultimately helpful to those in need. Both in the sense of raising standards of living and also of creating the Bill Gates and Warren Buffets who create the billion dollar endowment charity foundations.

As selfish as indulgences and excessive consumption are or seem to be... I guess that's just how the average human being is. I think the average person wants to help too, so it's a little give and take. Maybe a lot more take than give, but it's better than nothing. Or am I just justifying my future spending on the excessively unnecessary?

Business class

Economy class still looks about the same.

//

Picture of the Post

I will take whimsy over diamonds:
a wintery installation at one of Glasgow's art museums (12/06)

No comments: