Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Asian Americans in the Obama Cabinet

I am pretty surprised and impressed with the diversity of ethnicity and gender in Obama's cabinet (highly qualified people obviously, not just applauding diversity for diversity's sake). While I of course support the diverse character of the cabinet, I wouldn't have been as surprised if it was 'diverse-minus-Asians,' as I feel is often the case.

The first and second picks were good and received well, but I have to admit that I am especially surprised to find that there now might be up to four Asian Americans serving in the Cabinet (three Chinese Americans, at that!). My surprise comes despite knowing that Obama was raised partly in Indonesia, has a half-Asian sister and a Chinese brother-in-law... I don't know, I just didn't expect it. Anyway here they are:

Gen. Eric Shinseki, Secretary of Veteran's Affairs

Stephen Chu, Energy Secretary

Gary Locke, current top pick for Commerce Secretary (two previous nominees withdrew)

(A little ironic that Obama's first nominee (Bill Richardson) angered some Asian Americans-- in particular Chinese Americans because of Wen Ho Lee-- and now things have ended up where he will nominate a Chinese American...)

and Chris Lu, Cabinet Secretary (does that count as a fourth cabinet member? Okay maybe not technically but I'm going to say it does.)



I feel so "angry asian man" right now haha but I think it's a pretty significant situation. Anyway, more importantly, hopefully all the cabinet secretaries will perform well in their roles, Asian or not.

No comments: