Pages

Monday, February 2, 2009

Street Art


Saw this the other day while driving through downtown. "Keep Our City Clean & Safe... Do Your Part." Who doesn't like a little irony?

I personally don't mind the idea of graffiti. I just wish that everyone who graffitied actually had some artistic talent. When I see good graffiti, I [usually] think it adds character to the area. It's really impressive. In Buenos Aires, I loved all the random graffiti art covering the walls in San Telmo; I did not appreciate the crude lettering that tarnished the obelisk in their main plaza. Or consider what British street artist Banksy has done with the 'medium.' I guess, in my layman view, it comes down to whether it was done to express & enhance vs. just to make a mark and desecrate. Obviously this is no eureka on my part, as there is a thriving culture of street art.


Good (Buenos Aires)


Still Good (Buenos Aires)


Borderline, but I still like this (Buenos Aires)


Imagine if all the graffiti along the walls of the "LA River" were thoughtful, creative pieces. It could actually be something amazing to see..
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

audiofrog said...

I agree, Banksy rules.