Pages

Monday, July 9, 2007

music on the street

Occasionally, this old man will sit on the corner of Wilshire and Vermont and play a horn/trumpet. He is homeless or crazy, maybe/probably both. He plays a variation of the same tune over and over again. If this were in person I would sing it to you, but it's that classic do-dededede-do-dededede-do-dedededeDEde sound... I think they play it before races start? Maybe in the morning to jolt you awake? Anyway when I first heard it I found it pretty annoying. But it's growing on me. I mean this guy just sits out there randomly and starts tooting at his horn in his crazy manner. Yes a little sad but also a little endearing.

A little related but mostly unrelated: I read an interesting story about how famous violinist Joshua Bell was performing one of Bach's most complicated pieces on a Stradivarius (violin worth millions).... in a DC subway station one busy weekday morning. He pretended he was just one of those street performers playing for a little money. Hardly anyone paid any attention to him. No crowds gathered. A few people stopped for a minute or two. That's crazy, considering people have paid, would pay hundreds of dollars to see such a performance in a concert hall. But to be honest, I can't say that I would have necessarily stopped to listen to the music either. I'd hope so though.

Found the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html?hpid=artslot

No comments: